Support for SAS/SATA non-RAID adapters

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 00:29:07 UTC 2009

I've spent the better part of today doing various web searches in
Google, searches in newegg.ca/ncix.com, digging through mailing list
archives (-hardware and -stable), man pages, and vendor websites
looking for well-supported SATA/SAS adapters for use in FreeBSD
storage servers.  These servers will be using ZFS, so will not need
fancy RAID controllers (currently, we're using 3Ware 9550SXU and
9650SE RAID controllers, which are increasingly hard to buy and very
expensive at $1200+ CDN).  The chassis have hot-plug SATA backplanes,
so can use multi-lane cabling or standard SATA cabling.

So far, I've come across a nice selection of LSI and Promise
controllers, that are in the $200 - $400 CDN range, and seem to fit
the bill.  However, I can't find anything that definitively states
whether they are supported by FreeBSD 7.x or 8.x.  Thus, my questions
to all of you:

Are any of the following supported by FreeBSD 7/8?  If so, by what
driver?  And do you have any experience (good/bad/otherwise) with any
of them?

  LSI SAS 9211-8i      8-port SAS/SATA PCIe
  LSI SAS 3081E-R    8-port SAS/SATA PCIe
  LSI SAS 3080X-R    8-port SATA/SATA PCI-X

  Promise SuperTrak EX12350   12-port SATA PCIe
  Promise SuperTrak EX16350   16-port SATA PCIe
  Promise SuperTrak EX16300   16-port SATA PCI-X

  Promise SuperTrak EX16650   16-port SAS/SATA PCIe

Any recommendations on other SAS/SATA controllers to look at (just not
anything with MegaRAID in the name)?

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com