how to mirror cvs or svn with rsync

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 15 02:19:15 UTC 2009

Nikolay Tychina wrote:
> Well, reference machine doesn't even run FreeBSD. I need to mirror src (say,
> checkout of RELENG_8).
> Another problem is that only rsync may be used on the reference machine. :)

I really don't want to sound like a nag but you're still not being
very clear as to what you're trying to do. Do you need to have just
the checked out versions of /usr/src for one particular branch at one
specific point in time that will be the same for all the machines that
have to access it? If so, you'll need to check the files out on the
reference machine. This can be done with cvsup, csup, or subversion
(svn). If the reference machine is not running freebsd then svn is
your worst option since in order to expand the $FreeBSD$ Id tags you
need a patch to the subversion sources that a linux admin is not
likely to look kindly on. You can likely find cvsup binaries for linux
available on line, or you should be able to compile csup on the linux
box. If compiling it doesn't work, report the problems on
freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org.

If it's genuinely not possible to run anything but rsync on the
reference machine you'll have to check out the sources on a freebsd
box and rsync the files to the reference machine from there.

If this isn't what you're trying to accomplish at all you need to
provide a lot more information about what you're trying to do.

Doug