how to mirror cvs or svn with rsync

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sat Nov 14 23:37:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 11:39:03PM +0300, Nikolay Tychina wrote:
> Well, reference machine doesn't even run FreeBSD. I need to mirror
> src (say, checkout of RELENG_8).

According to /usr/src/contrib/csup/README, csup can run on Linux or
other Unixoids too:

  Csup should build and run fine under any *BSD OS (that includes FreeBSD,
  NetBSD, OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD), as well as Linux and Darwin.  If you
  have a problem building from source, drop me a mail!

So the reference machine running csup doesn't even need to run FreeBSD. :-)

> Another problem is that only rsync may be used on the reference machine. :)

If you're referring to firewall rules: csup connects by default to TCP
port 5999 of the csup server(s). This is an outbound connection only,
as there is no need to punch a hole in the firewall to allow for incoming
connections. Maybe talking to your network admin would resolve the problem?

Alternatively, there may be someone running a rsync daemon (over ssh?)
who could provide you with /usr/src? Or there may be someone running
a cvsup daemon on rsync's or http's port, so you could punch right
through your firewall with csup -p 873 or csup -p 80 (or something
similar)?

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/