Tunnel IPv6 requests to my IPv4 servers?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 10 03:21:10 UTC 2009

Kenyon Ralph wrote:
> On 2009-11-09T14:26:23-0800, Rudy <crapsh at monkeybrains.net> wrote:
>> I got my first IPv6 from ARIN.  I set up my router and am
>> successfully advertising my IPv6 block.  On my DNS server, I added
>> an IPv6 IP, no problem (try pinging!  ns1.monkeybrains.net).  Now,
>> I'd like to 'NAT' to some older boxes and not mess with actually
>> putting IPv6 IPs on those boxes.  Say I had a box with running IPv4
>> with: 69.147.83.40
>> How would I 'nat' or 'gif' or 'tunnel' from a NAT box without
>> putting any IPv6 on 69.147.83.40?
>>
>> I want to have:
>>  2607:f598:0:1::666 on my 'firewall' and have it tunnel to
>> 69.147.83.40 or whatever....
>> I've read this:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-ipv6.html
>> But that seems more geared toward getting IPv6 on clients.
>
> Are you trying to give the older boxes IPv6 connectivity or IPv4
> connectivity to the Internet?
>
> If IPv6, why not just give the older boxes IPv6 addresses? Seems to me
> it would be a lot easier than messing with tunneling. They don't even
> need globally routeable IPv4 addresses. Set up rtadvd on your router,
> allow them to use their automatic IPv6 addresses (or set the addresses
> manually, doesn't matter), and that should be it. It shouldn't be that
> hard, since ease of setup is one of the things IPv6 is designed for. On
> FreeBSD, ipv6_enable="YES" is probably all you need to do.

Without knowing what you're trying to accomplish I'd have to agree
with Kenyon. One nice thing about IPv6 is that NAT is no longer
needed, it would probably be better if you didn't try to subvert the
protocol design. :)

Doug