7.2-RC2 Install Feedback

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Apr 30 16:55:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 08:55 -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> Also, I banged my head against problems installing emacs
> (aborted with error -1), until I finally realized that
> xemacs-21.4 was already installed.  I think there was some
> form of conflict (?) that prevented two versions from
> being installed.  Seemed odd to me in any event, and not
> very evident why the (package) install was being rejected.

This basic issue (package conflicts) has been becoming more and more of
a problem.  It's not likely we can do anything about it this time around
but we'll think a bit more about what to include on the media going
forwards.  I also found Gnome2 and KDE4 are mutually exclusive due to
package conflicts, you need to select one or the other.

Just so you know - if there are issues with installing things and errors
pop up you can often quickly find what the cause of the error was by
pressing Alt-F2.  You can get back to the primary screen with Alt-F1.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |