bge problems under 7.2-PRERELEASE

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Thu Apr 23 17:19:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:06:12AM -0400, Jeff Blank wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:55:10PM +0200, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > Use the sources you have but plug in sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c
> > rev 1.198.2.13 and sys/dev/pci/pci.c rev 1.355.2.6, this
> > combination should work.
>
> correct.
>
> > Then update if_bge.c to rev
> > 1.198.2.14 and check whether things still work,
>
> this causes the problem to resurface.

FYI, I've found a notebook equipped with the exact same
Broadcom chip and ASIC revision but which works without
problems with current sources. So in combination with
the low number of problem reports this really doesn't
look like a generic problem of this Broadcom hardware
or bge(4) and I just can suggest to disable MSI by
setting the hw.pci.enable_msi tuneable to 0 for now.
As David pointed out this might be a problem with the
Nvidia chipset. Linux seems to have a workaround
related to this but I still need to check that in
detail.

Marius