bge problems under 7.2-PRERELEASE

Jeff Blank jb000003 at mr-happy.com
Thu Apr 23 15:01:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:41:36AM -0700, Annelise Anderson wrote:
> I wanted to upgrade my stable and but now am afraid to
> reboot with the new kernel as I've got one of these bge0 cards.

You should be able to back out fairly easily in case of most problems.
When you reboot to single-user mode with the new kernel, you can test
whatever you think you need to (device presence/functionality,
networking, etc) before installing world.  If you don't like the
results, just rename or delete /boot/kernel, rename /boot/kernel.old
to /boot/kernel, and reboot, no damage done (usually).

> dmesg reveals:
>
> brgphy0: <BCM5750 10/100/1000baseTX PHY> PHY 1 on miibus0
>
> a different version of BCM, not BCM 5754

I can't speak authoritatively, but I expect you're fine.  My problem
appears to have a very narrow scope.

Jeff