Request for testing - top 3.8b1 in the base system

Stefan `Sec` Zehl sec at 42.org
Sun Sep 28 09:33:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 15:46 +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> The new code can be found on
>     http://www.mavetju.org/~edwin/freebsd-top-3.8b1-A.tar.gz
> Go to 3.8b1/usr.sbin/top and run "make" there to produce the binary,
> then run it via "./top".

compiles and runs fine on my box:

FreeBSD ice 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #17: Wed Sep  3 23:59:58 CEST 2008     root at ice:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ICE  amd64

> Please report any issues with it (compile time, run time) and a way
> to reproduce it (if possible). Thanks for your help!

The number of sleeping processes is much lower than system top:

oldtop: 480 processes: 3 running, 450 sleeping, 2 stopped, 7 zombie, 18 waiting
newtop: 190 processes: 3 running, 160 sleeping, 2 stopped, 7 zombie, 18 waiting

Interestingly, the system top appears to be the one in error:

ice:~>ps auxww|wc -l
     194

Other than that, i could see no obvious problems.

CU,
    Sec
--
I think the IDE issue is a good point.  People with IDE hardware in
their machines should be punished by making them wait to boot...
                                               -- terry at lambert.org