INET6 -- and why I don't use it

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sun Mar 9 17:14:39 UTC 2008

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
 > Kevin Oberman wrote:
 > > You don't set up an IPv6 network. You simply have end nodes that will
 > > use IPv6 when/if it is available by just making a one-line change in
 > > rc.conf as opposed to a kernel re-build.
 >
 > But to make it (an ip v6 network) useful, I (as an end user) would need
 > a dns domain for the machines I control, preferable a zone that *I* have
 > control over.

Yes, that's preferable.

 > In other words; if I have machines with ipv6 adresses that I can reach
 > globally, but don't have a dns name for them, the usefulness is very
 > limited.
 >
 > Is that challenge solved somehow with ipv6?
 > It doesn't look like dyndns.org supports ipv6 in their free service.

Why use dyndns.org?  Your IPv6 address isn't dynamic.
Usually you get a static /64 subnet assigned, and the
reverse DNS is delegated to you, so you have full
control.

My home ISP doesn't support native IPv6 yet (though they
say they're working on it), but they host a SixXS node,
so I registered with sixxs.org.  (Everybody can register
with them, even if your ISP doesn't have its own node.)
Once you have registered, you can request a tunnel, and
then you can get a static /64 subnet assigned, including
reverse DNS delegation.  Works fine for me.

Now I can start to assign IPv6 addresses to my LEGO bricks.
:-)

Best regards
   Oliver

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing,
are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little,
we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
        -- Mother Teresa