INET6 -- and why I don't use it

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 19:42:09 UTC 2008

On 3/6/08, Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
> In other words; if I have machines with ipv6 adresses that I can reach
> globally, but don't have a dns name for them, the usefulness is very
> limited.
>
> Is that challenge solved somehow with ipv6?
> It doesn't look like dyndns.org supports ipv6 in their free service.

They do in the free service I get from them, but I was grandfathered
in from their older free service and I'm not sure how it compares to
what they offer now:

$ dig ipv6.wb4jcm.org aaaa

[...]

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ipv6.wb4jcm.org.        1440    IN      AAAA    2001:5c0:987c::1

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
wb4jcm.org.             69432   IN      NS      ns3.mydyndns.org.
wb4jcm.org.             69432   IN      NS      ns4.mydyndns.org.
wb4jcm.org.             69432   IN      NS      ns1.mydyndns.org.
wb4jcm.org.             69432   IN      NS      ns2.mydyndns.org.
wb4jcm.org.             69432   IN      NS      ns5.mydyndns.org.

- Bob