INET6 -- and why I don't use it

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Mar 9 19:17:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:14:34 +0100 (CET)
Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:

> Why use dyndns.org?  Your IPv6 address isn't dynamic.

You are correct, of course.
It shows that l I haven't got my head around the
whole ipv6 issue, right?

> My home ISP doesn't support native IPv6 yet (though they
> say they're working on it), but they host a SixXS node,
> so I registered with sixxs.org.  (Everybody can register
> with them, even if your ISP doesn't have its own node.)
> Once you have registered, you can request a tunnel, and
> then you can get a static /64 subnet assigned, including
> reverse DNS delegation.  Works fine for me.

I wonder: does this tunnel thing work even if you have a dynamic ip on
the public side of your broadband modem / router?
I my case, my FreeBSD gateway and firewall sits behind the broadband
router, and have private ip's on both interaces (internal and external).
Do I need a public ip on my gateway in order to use a tunnel?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen