RELENG_7 jerky mouse and skipping sound (still a problem -BETA3)

Marcus Reid marcus at blazingdot.com
Fri Jan 4 22:34:31 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 03:30:40PM -0800, David E. Thiel wrote:
> I've tried a lot of stuff in between, and all I've been able to narrow
> it down to is that it's not a display driver issue, and that none of
> my swap partition is getting used, so that's not the problem. During
> compiles, my UP system with ULE still gets very unresponsive when
> compiling, sometimes taking up to 10 seconds just to draw a new terminal
> window. Even changing focus with the window manager can take several
> seconds. I'd like to provide more info, but I'm not sure what stats
> are useful for this particular issue. Please let me know.

I get the same type of thing, and have brought it up on the lists
at some point in the past.  Basically, if the x server process
consumes enough CPU that it is not regarded by ULE to be an
"interactive" process anymore, then it doesn't fair very well
against other processes that are contending for CPU.  I use
Windowmaker, which normally treads pretty lightly, but I can
imagine that the problem would be much easier to trigger on some
other window managers.  I can easily trigger it by starting xlockmore
with a pretty busy screenhack with a compile running in the background.

Marcus