Audio CD problem on laptop VGN-SZ61MN

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Sat Aug 9 14:14:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 09:17:40PM -0300, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:13 AM, Harald Weis <hawei at free.fr> wrote:

> > acd0: DVDR <MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-852S/1.01> at ata0-master UDMA33
> > acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
> > acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
> > cd0 at ata0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> > cd0: <MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-852S 1.01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
> > cd0: 33.000MB/s transfers
> > cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

> Same result on my notebook (HP nx6320) and this is not a surprise. The
> "mixer" command does not show a "cd" input, meaning that there is no
> input port for the analog audio output of the CD drive (if any). The
> "status audio" arguments instructs cdcontrol to inquire the drive, not
> the audio device.
>
> NetBSD's "cdplay" supports digital transfer mode since version 4.0.
> Perhaps this feature could be implemented on cdcontrol.

Yes, that explains what happens on my notebook and corresponds to
what the Handbook says:
If all goes well, you should now have a functioning sound card. If your
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive's audio-out pins are properly connected to your
sound card, you can put a CD in the drive and play it with
cdcontrol(1):
% cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 play 1

Indeed, both the 'mixer' command and the (much more comfortable) 'rexima'
port show only 5 mixer devices:
Mixer vol      is currently set to  12:12
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  30:30
Mixer speaker  is currently set to   8:8
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0

There is no 'cd' mixer device, and the only mixer device file on
this notebook is '/dev/mixer0'.

But this does not explain why mplayer, in contrast with vlc, refuses
to play the CD, does it ?

What is the meaning and reason of the above FAILURE lines ?
2 identical lines with the GENERIC kernel,
1 single line, if I add 'device atapicam'.
That is apparently the only difference between the two cases.

Thank you again and in advance for any further help.

Harald
--
FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Aug  7 13:00:47 CEST 2008