Audio CD problem on laptop VGN-SZ61MN

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 14:56:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Harald Weis <hawei at free.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 09:17:40PM -0300, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:13 AM, Harald Weis <hawei at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> > acd0: DVDR <MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-852S/1.01> at ata0-master UDMA33
>> > acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
>> > acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
>> > cd0 at ata0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
>> > cd0: <MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-852S 1.01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
>> > cd0: 33.000MB/s transfers
>> > cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
>
>> Same result on my notebook (HP nx6320) and this is not a surprise. The
>> "mixer" command does not show a "cd" input, meaning that there is no
>> input port for the analog audio output of the CD drive (if any). The
>> "status audio" arguments instructs cdcontrol to inquire the drive, not
>> the audio device.
>>
>> NetBSD's "cdplay" supports digital transfer mode since version 4.0.
>> Perhaps this feature could be implemented on cdcontrol.
>
> Yes, that explains what happens on my notebook and corresponds to
> what the Handbook says:
> If all goes well, you should now have a functioning sound card. If your
> CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive's audio-out pins are properly connected to your
> sound card, you can put a CD in the drive and play it with
> cdcontrol(1):
> % cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 play 1
>
> Indeed, both the 'mixer' command and the (much more comfortable) 'rexima'
> port show only 5 mixer devices:
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  12:12
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  30:30
> Mixer speaker  is currently set to   8:8
> Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
> Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
>
> There is no 'cd' mixer device, and the only mixer device file on
> this notebook is '/dev/mixer0'.
>
> But this does not explain why mplayer, in contrast with vlc, refuses
> to play the CD, does it ?

No, doesn't. On my notebook I'm able to play audio CDs with mplayer
using either your command syntax, "mplayer cdda://1//dev/acd0" and
with the simpler one "mplayer cdda://1". The audio is bad, however
(has periodic interruptions). This is certainly a problem in mplayer
since GXine works fine.

> What is the meaning and reason of the above FAILURE lines ?
> 2 identical lines with the GENERIC kernel,
> 1 single line, if I add 'device atapicam'.

I doubt atapican has something to do with your problem but you can
check this by booting with GENERIC and issue "kldload atapicam" later.
I did it here and had no additional problem with mplayer besides the
bumpy audio output. I guess your problem is in the CD drive. I suggest
you to do three things:

1. Try to insert the CD and wait until it stops pinning before
starting mplayer. Some drives are a bit lazy on media recognition.

2. Run "truss mplayer ..." and look for error messages.

3. Attempt to use a different player. Xine and/or one of its alternate
front-ends like GXine or Kaffeine are good choices.

--
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only
because you lack sufficient imagination.