Progress with usability of AMD64

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Wed Nov 14 00:35:22 PST 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 11:24:41PM +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Vivek Khera wrote:
> VK> My list of software is purely server stuff; I
> VK> don't use any FreeBSD desktops.
>
> It seems to be the key point here.
>
> I'm thinking about giving a try for the following scheme for my development
> desktop at work:
>
> amd64 machine with servers' ports built inside (postgresql-server, apache, etc)
> with i386 jail with desktop applications (xorg, firefox/nspluginwrappers, MUA,
> you name it...)
>
> ENOTIME so far...

Utility is definitely a personal variable.  I run a FreeBSD-6-stable
workstation at AMD64 and am more or less happy with it, but I also have
a MacOS laptop, which I can fall back to for anything that falls out of
the FreeBSD-amd64 capability bucket, like watching the google
Android videos on youtube, (and I know where to find a Windows
laptop when that isn't enough, either).  [Since when were
video-only web presentations a good idea?  Not a trend I approve
of, but for "quick-and-dirty" I suppose it saves having someone
write up a transcript...]

Certainly xorg, firefox (and epiphany, which I prefer) and MUA
(thunderbird, evolution, mutt, claws-mail(my pref.)) all work
happily in amd64 mode.

--
Andrew