Upgrading from FreeBSD 5.4 to 5.5 STABLE

Yuri Pankov yuri.pankov at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 19:46:35 PST 2007

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 06:08:10 Nic Reveles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to update my version of FreeBSD from 5.4 to 5.5-STABLE.  This
> is one of the many things I've yet to get my feet wet with yet, and so I'm
> not entirely sure what it is I am doing.  I've made a backup of my most
> critical work.
>
> Some links I've found describing this process:
> 1. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
> 2. http://www.nabble.com/Upgrading-FreeBSD-Questions-t4716949.html
>
> So far I've run cvsup with a line in it:
> *default tag=RELENG_5_5_0_RELEASE
>
> After a long time it said that it finished successfully.  Regardless, I'm
> not sure if the line I used is correct to get 5.5 STABLE.

No, correct tag for 5-STABLE is RELENG_5 (or, if by "5.5 STABLE" you mean 5.5
with security patches, tag should be RELENG_5_5). See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

> Then I ran:
> %  make buildworld
>
> ===> gnu/usr.bin/cvs/contrib
> sed -e 's, at CSH@,/bin/csh,' -e 's at PERL@,/usr/bin/perl,'
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/contrib/../../../../contrib/cvs/contrib/Makefile..
>in > Makefile "Makefile", line 15: Need an operator
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in usr/src/gnu.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in usr/src.

I've seen this error before, it has something to do with timestamps in
src/contrib/cvs (I've copied source tree using cp). Try
removing /usr/src/contrib/cvs directory and cvsup again.

> Unfortunately, I typed all that out by hand and so it is quite possible
> there is a typo or two, but that is the general jist of it all.  Is there
> someone who knows what is going on with this?  All answers/tips are greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Nic R.

Yuri