7.0-BETA1 & 2 occasionally freezing, how to diagnose?

Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez rnsanchez at wait4.org
Tue Nov 6 08:35:00 PST 2007

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 12:48:35 +1100
Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:

> Pretty much everytime I'm getting a lockup, i'm either streaming music
> from my music box or on a skype call. Not much to go by, but there
> isn't any logs left at all of the crash. It is not a panic (no writing
> dump to disk when I press enter, Caps-lock is dead, even the Fn key
> which is bound to the bios is dead). What I have noticed in these
> cases is that there seems to be a lock up....then, about a minute or
> so after it, the mouse seems to come back to life...but then there's
> nothing more I can do - i've waited for over 5 minutes after this with
> no more results....
>
> Not sure how I can diagnose / test this, but i'm willing to give them
> a try, time permitting :)

Hmm.  Any chances any of you upgraded Xorg/glib2 this weekend?  I did on
Sunday, and got some soft-locks similar to these ones.  In my case, only
part of the applications would freeze.  Interestingly, only xmms and
gkrellm kept running, and I could ssh to the machine---nothing unusual
on top(1).

In the X console, the mouse would move, but don't do anything useful.
The keyboard sometimes didn't worked, but whenever NumLock worked,
then I'd be able to vtswitch to some vt and ^C the whole X server.

The only worth message was from nvidia module (sometimes more than once),
some random time before soft-locking up.  If it helps, I heard a slightly
different pc-speaker beep (short), which eventually led me to vt-switch
and discover this message:

kernel: NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 100.14.19, but
kernel: NVRM: this kernel module has the version 100.14.11.  Please
kernel: NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
kernel: NVRM: components have the same version.

I'm on 6.1-RELEASE, most ports are up-to-date, and now using the nv
driver because nvidia module is getting a _sleep unresolved symbol.
No locks so far, BTW.

Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez                   rnsanchez at wait4.org