Corrupt fonts-alias (Re: xorg 7.2 start problem)

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon May 28 09:10:55 UTC 2007

On 2007-May-24 16:19:07 -0400, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
>On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 03:00:11PM +0200, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:
>> * Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> [2007-05-24 21:40 +1000]:
>> > I've found this problem on one system (the one where I thought the
>> > upgrade had gone the most cleanly).  font-alias _is_ installed but
>> > most of my pcf.gz files are corrupt (20 bytes long).
>> >
>> > 'portupgrade -f' on my fonts is fixing this but I'm not exactly sure
>> > why it occurred to start with.
>>
>> bdftopcf fails if it uses the old library from X11R6. The 20 bytes are
>> the compressed empty output of the failing bdftopcf.
>>
>> Nicolas
>
>Sounds like it is being upgraded out of order, we need a full log to
>figure out why.

Looking closer, I was wrong about it being a clean upgrade in my case.
The ports INDEX and INDEX.db (though not the ports tree) would have
been "corrupted" (by my regular ports tree update) partway through the
portupgrade.  I suspect it can be put down to operator error but can
provide my upgrade logs if you want to investigate.

--
Peter Jeremy