xorg 7.2 start problem

Felippe de Meirelles Motta lippe at freebsdbrasil.com.br
Thu May 24 13:52:04 UTC 2007

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-May-23 11:06:46 +0300, Iulian M <eti at erata.net> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Andriy Babiy wrote:
>>> Fatal server error:
>>> could not open default font 'fixed'
>> On another thread the conclusion was that installing x11-fonts/font-alias
>> solved the fixed font problem.
>
> I've found this problem on one system (the one where I thought the
> upgrade had gone the most cleanly).  font-alias _is_ installed but
> most of my pcf.gz files are corrupt (20 bytes long).
>
> 'portupgrade -f' on my fonts is fixing this but I'm not exactly sure
> why it occurred to start with.

Hey guys,

lippe at shire:~> uname -a
FreeBSD shire.freebsdbrasil.com.br 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #11:
Wed May 16 15:18:51 BRT 2007
lippe at shire.freebsdbrasil.com.br:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SHIRE  i386

Here, the following resolved it for me:

lippe at shire:~> cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/font-misc-misc
lippe at shire:~> make clean deinstall reinstall
lippe at shire:~> cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/font-cursor-misc
lippe at shire:~> make clean deinstall reinstall

And, finally:

lippe at shire:~> startx

Done! :)

--