IPMI & SuperMicro

Gót András andrej at antiszoc.hu
Mon Aug 6 01:20:20 PDT 2007

On Hét, Augusztus 6, 2007 10:03 am, Nicolas Szalay wrote:
> Le lundi 06 aoĂťt 2007 Ă  09:40 +0200, GĂłt AndrĂĄs a ĂŠcrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>

> Hi,

Hi,

>> From 6.2 it's part of the main kernel. As I know IPMI works fine on
>> X2100M2 machines. On these you've to forget the ipmi console, because
>> once bge(4) loads it blocks the bridge that the ipmi uses for remote
>> console. There was a patch for an older bge(4) driver, but on the 6.2 i
>> couldn't patch the driver. (I looked the source, but the two was too
>> different, and since I'm not a C programmer I couldn't manage to port.)
>
> Will I still be able to reboot a frozen machine ? I have only 2 machines
> with bge NICs, all others are intel.

I don't really know. Our BSD machines don't frooze. :) Really, I didn't
have any production FreeBSD that froze. With 4.8 or 4.9 and Intel HTT
enabled there were reboots, but on good hardware FreeBSD runs stable.

The remote IPMI solution depends on the exact implementation. What I wrote
is only for the X2100M2 machines. IMHO If your machines has a bridge that
the OS cannot see (so the driver cannot take over) the remote console will
work fine.

For ipmi install /usr/ports/<somewhere>/ipmi-tool and you can monitor your
system with munin for example. My collegue wrote a munin plugin:
http://muninexchange.projects.linpro.no/?search=&cid=0&os%5B4%5D=on&os%5B7%5D=on&os%5B3%5D=on&os%5B2%5D=on&os%5B5%5D=on&os%5B8%5D=on&os%5B1%5D=on&os%5B6%5D=on&pid=59
For FreeBSD you've to rewrite a little, but if you like I send you my
version for the X2100.

We would be very thankful if you send your ipmi output with your machine
or mainboard version. Then we can extend our plugin. :)