grep: memory exhauted

van Osnabrugge, Sean svanosnabrugge at osler.com
Wed Nov 29 12:02:27 PST 2006

Hi there,

I am running a fresh install of FreeBSD-6.1-Stable as a guest OS in VMWare 1.0.1 with 1 GB of RAM.

Whenever I try to grep a large text file (400 MB+), grep terminates with “grep: memory exhausted”

I have tried piping grep (cat “file” | grep “search term”)

I have tried it with –line-buffered

ulimit –a show:

core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited

data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 524288

file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited

max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited

max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited

open files                    (-n) 11095

pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 1

stack size            (kbytes, -s) 65536

cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited

max user processes            (-u) 5547

virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

Any help?

Thanks,

Sean van Osnabrugge
Email/Exchange Administrator
Networking Services
* Email: svanosnabrugge at osler.com <mailto:svanosnabrugge at osler.com>
( Office: 416-646-3123
¹ Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST

This e-mail message is privileged, confidential and subject to
copyright. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.

Le contenu du présent courriel est privilégié, confidentiel et
soumis à des droits d'auteur. Il est interdit de l'utiliser ou
de le divulguer sans autorisation.