sshd. "UseDNS no" ignored?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Nov 21 06:17:35 PST 2006

Cristiano Deana wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > purpose.  _However_ there are still cases where a lookup
 > > has to be performed when a user has "from=<hostname>"
 > > entries in his authorized_keys file, or when authentication
 > > methods or configuration directives are used that involve
 > > hostnames.
 >
 > That's my problem: I'm unable to understand what directive needs to
 > resolve my reverse.

Well, to answer that question it is necessary to see the
contents of your sshd_config, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
of the user being logged on.

 > Any hint?

The manpage says:  "Authentication mechanisms that may
require DNS include RhostsRSAAuthentication, Hostbased-
Authentication, and using a from="pattern-list" option
in a key file.  Configuration options that require DNS
include using a USER at HOST pattern in AllowUsers or
DenyUsers."

Best regards
   Oliver

"I learned Java 3 years before Python.  It was my language of
choice.  It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts