Status of 3945ABG and others

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Nov 19 10:26:57 PST 2006

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:26:08 +0100
Christian Lopez de Castilla Wagner <lopisaur at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sound is ALC861,

Probably HDA, you should test the snd_hdac driver. Look on -multimedia
mailinglist for clues.

> wireless 3945ABG.

As far as I know (and I'm interested, because I have a laptop with
this device myself), nothing has happened on this front. It seems that
Intel, for reasons of their own, isn't able to (or doesn't want to)
release necessary docs to make a good driver.
OpenBSD (4.0) have support for this via the wpi driver, but it doesn't
support WPA yet, only WEP.

Your best bet would be to
a) exchange the network card, if possible. Some laptop network cards
are miniPCI and can be exchanged, but I do not know if this is the case
for the 3945ABG.
b) use an external usb network "dongle". Look at the ural driver, you
can find some of the supported devices quite cheap. I dont know how
good they are, I have just tested one, and have some issues with it
(stability) but haven't been able to rule out if it is something with
my setup yet.

HTH
--
Regards,