Installing 6.2-BETA3 from floppies

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Nov 14 04:20:14 PST 2006

Eugene Grosbein wrote:
 > > I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.x onto old Packard Bell machine,
 > > it is Pentium-166 with 80Mb RAM and 10Gb HDD ("Orlando" motherboard).
 > > [...]
 > > However, timer does not 'tick' and there is always 10 seconds left.
 > > I choose verbose mode, it starts to show its diagnostic output
 > > but last line it shows is 'Calibrating clocks...' then it halts:
 > > keyboard leds do not switch, there is no reaction on 'Ctrl-Alt-ESC'.
 >
 > Hmm, I was too quick... The kernel has spent lots of minutes
 > 'sitting in this pose' but suddenly said that clock calibration
 > has failed and it will use default frequency.

Apparently the RTC on that mainboard is dead.  Did you try
replacing its battery?  It's usually a small lithium button
cell, or (on very old boards) a small battery package.
If that doesn't help, I guess the RTC chip itself is broken.

Best regards
   Oliver

"In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
        -- Blair P. Houghton