EM stability

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 22:48:06 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, Barry Boes <barry.boes at acciodata.com> wrote:

> Luck ran out.  Hard "must press the reset button" hang.  No console
> messages.   The system was idle at the time.
>    Is there anything you'd like me to do to attempt to narrow down the
> problem or get debugging output?  I do not know if the freeze was
> related to em or something else.

Is this a machine running some graphic head? If not can you see anything
on the console? Are you sure the machine is dead, like can you get in
over the network... ? One thing I often do when you are dealing with
unpredictable hangs is run 'vmstat 3' on one of the virtual terminals.

You might also define the kernel debugger into your kernel, its best to have
a serial console for this, I've seen the hardware console be locked but the
serial will still work.

The only way we will track this down is thru repetitive reproduction I'm
afraid.

Jack