(bsd)tar is broken on 6.1

Jonathan Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Fri May 26 02:26:00 PDT 2006

On 05/26/06 04:37, Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:

>  > Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:
>  >> # tar cf /dev/null X11R6.old
>  >> # archive_write_pax_header: 'x' header failed?!  This can't happen.
>
>  > This seems to work fine here:
>  > [noackjr at optimator:/usr] $ uname -rm
>  > 6.1-RELEASE i386
>  > [noackjr at optimator:/usr] $ tar --version
>  > bsdtar 1.02.023, libarchive 1.02.026
>  > Copyright (C) 2003-2005 Tim Kientzle
>  > [noackjr at optimator:/usr] $ tar cf /dev/null X11R6
>  > [noackjr at optimator:/usr] $
>
> Sure, but the directories are not the same.

As you provided no details in your original email, I was forced to
assume that the problem was in the use of /dev/null (I used the X11R6
directory for fun).  I was mistaken, but remember that not *all* of us
can read your mind... :)

> I have narrowed the problem to a specific subdirectory and I think I
> have the explanation:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 jmz  jmz    4312 Apr 16  1947 supclkrd.prg
>
> Don't ask me why the date is wrong, this is really old stuff :-)
>
> On the other hand tar has no problem extracting it. If someone wants
> to debug it, the archive is available as
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jmz/a.tar

I see the same thing here.  Touching supclkrd.prg to bring the date
current makes the problem go away.

Tim, any thoughts?

-Jonathan

--