FreeBSD Security Survey

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Mon May 22 19:28:29 PDT 2006

On May 22, 2006, at 11:49, Allen wrote:

> On my Slackware machines, it was no problem at all, I'd use wget to
> grab
> the patch .tgz file, then do this:
>
> upgradepkg *.tgz

I believe there was some talk in the past of treating the base system
like a package.  NetBSD has some code that does this called "syspkg",
but it isn't really working AFAICT.

The planned work on updating the installer was part of this (and Tim
Kientzle's work on libarchive as well). FreeBSD Update would be
something in a similar vein.

Is it safe to assume that this is still somewhat desired, but that
one of the stumbling blocks is time / resources?

Regards,
David