4.11 snapshots?

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Wed May 17 03:23:06 PDT 2006

Hello!

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Colin Percival wrote:
> Personally, since FreeBSD 4.11 will reach its EoL about 8 months
> from now, and the 4.x->[56].x upgrade path is non-trivial, I
> recommend installing FreeBSD 6.1 instead.

   Well, have you seen my simple performance benchmarking RELENG_4 vs 6?
IMHO it mimics quote common usage pattern: it just downloads a large file
with 10Mbps rate and stores it on UFS filesystem. On the same hardware
(i386 uniprocessor Celeron-333 system with 128Mb RAM and fast SAMSUNG SP0802N
HDD using UDMA33) under the same conditions, using more optimal config
(INVARIANTS removed) RELENG_6 (and 5) _still_ uses >= 50% of CPU time
for (Intr+Sys), while RELENG_4 doesn't use more than 28% for them. So
(unless this performance difference will be minimized) I predict _a lot_
of requests to extend RELENG_4 support further, because people just couldn't
afford 4->6 upgrade due to a loss of performance.

> Colin Percival

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator