SATA Failure Introduced between 6.0 and 6.1-RC1

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Sat May 13 19:28:00 UTC 2006

Jared wrote:
> Hi -stable!
>
> I'd like to bring something to the attention of -stable that was posted
> to -amd64 but has not yet being resolved:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/95554
>
> I'm unable to test to see if this occurs on i386 aswell so am unsure if
> this is the right list to post to. But it appears to me that it would be
> something that should be addressed prior to 6.1-RELEASE.

Hi all. This does indeed occur on i386 also. I had a drive die in a
machine this past week and replaced it with two brand new Seagate 80GB
SATA 300 drives to do mirroring, but 6.1-RELEASE only detects one of the
drives (and only the one on the primary SATA channel even if I switch
them around).

Upon finding this PR, I tried 6.0-RELEASE and it detected both drives on
the install, so I went ahead and installed 6.0 to use until there is a
fix since this is a production workstation. Unfortunately, I forgot that
I was running 6.1-PRERELEASE on the previous install because none of the
controllers on my board (MSI K8NGM2 - nForce4) are detected in 6.0, and
instead run as "GENERIC" at UDMA33.

I don't have the latest BIOS since it requires Windows to update, but
the summary for all updates show mainly CPU things...nothing related to
ATA/SATA/RAID.

I'm trying to decide if I should use 6.0 with the "GENERIC" controller
and reduced speeds since it needs to be operational, or try the nve
patches to fix the onboard LAN so I can free up a PCI slot and then put
in a known working SATA controller that would be recognized and at full
speeds. Not meant as pressure in any to the developers, but I'm
wondering if you guys think it will be a while before this is fixed so I
can make an informed decision on hardware purchases or not and get this
machine back up.

Thanks in advance!

-Mark