RELENG_4 -> 5 -> 6: significant performance regression

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat May 13 07:05:41 PDT 2006

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 08:59:01AM +0300, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:
> I'm just trying to understand why performance of RELENG_6 is worse than
> in RELENG_4 _that much_, and whether this sad situation can be improved
> somehow.

The architecture of the system substantially changed in the 5.X timeframe
to correctly support SMP.  There was not time enough during its lifetime
to correct all the problems.  The goal (AFAIK) of 6.X is to consolidate
those changes and work on bugfixes and performance.  (Already 6.X is
substantially faster in disk access).

There is a great deal of work being done behind-the-scenes (and being
discussed here at BSDCan) about performance.  Expect to some some dramatic
improvements in the 6.2 timeframe, if the hallways discussions are correct :-)

mcl