imap w/cleartext on 5.4-RELEASE

jason freebsd at jasons.us
Tue May 9 14:07:16 PDT 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Jonathan Noack wrote:

> Not to beat an off-topic horse, but...
>
> When I switched from Courier IMAP to Dovecot, I saw a huge increase in
> performance.  Dovecot uses index files that prevent it from having to
> continually scan a mailbox for every request.  For my largest folders
> (30,000+ messages), Dovecot was *at least* an order of magnitude faster.

I got it to work right.  It turns out that I had to make clean on both
cclient and imap-uw, build cclient with "-D WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT",
install it and then do the same with imap-uw.  Oh, and it helps to spell
"PLAINTEXT" correctly.  "PLAIMTEXT" doesn't have the same effect.

Thanks for the pointer to Dovecot - I'll check it out.  Sorry about the
mostly-OT chatter.

-Jason

-----
    --- There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong. ---
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
  					- Albert Einstein