Best practices for remote upgrade?

Daniel Gerzo danger at rulez.sk
Mon May 8 12:48:28 UTC 2006

Hi Scott,

Monday, May 8, 2006, 2:29:23 PM, you contributed this to our collective wisdom:

> Hello,

>         I have some 4.x servers that I would like to upgrade to 5.x, and
> perhaps 6.x.  However, I do not have any local access to these
> machines.  I can ssh into them only.  I would like to know whether it
> is possible for me to upgrade the machines with only ssh access, and
> what one should do to go about upgrading them.

Yeah, it's possible (and risky), however you will not get, for example,
an advantages of UFS2 and so forth, because you can't upgrade from UFS
to UFS2 without rebuilding FS.

The problem is that it's not possible to upgrade directly to 6.0/1.
You will have to go through process of upgrading to 5.3 first. But
I would recommend you to make a backups of your configuration and ask
someone who has a physical access to your servers to reinstall them
for you.

--
Sincerely,
  Daniel Gerzo