6.0 RELEASE and Volume Managers

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun May 7 09:34:30 UTC 2006

Yousef Raffah <yraffah at savola.com> writes:

> I'm trying to install a new server which has a hardware RAID controller.

Hardware RAID controllers such as amr(4) or twe(4) (I've seen LSI
MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 and 3Ware Escalade 8006-2 LP, the latter is a 2-port
SATA controller and can't do RAID5 for lack of ports) stuff usually
presents a whole logical unit as a single SCSI drive (/dev/da0 for the
first disk array, /dev/da1 for the second and so on), so you shouldn't
need vinum, geom or anything like that - just the driver would suffice.

If you need vinum or geom to implement a RAID then chances are your
so-called "hardware RAID" is actually fake (fakeraid) and really
software RAID. Adaptec "HostRAID" and the RAID in intel's ICH x-R
chipsets falls into this fakeraid category. The vendors don't like to
present it as software RAID, so that particular bit is extremely hard to
find :-(

What is the brand and model of your so-called hardware RAID?

--
Matthias Andree