6.0 RELEASE and Volume Managers

Yousef Raffah yraffah at savola.com
Sun May 7 08:05:51 UTC 2006

I'm trying to install a new server which has a hardware RAID controller.
All I need is a simple working RAID5 setup and this is my first time
doing it in FreeBSD. I noticed that /sbin/sysinstall does not support
configuring the drives through (g)vinum* therefore, I have to normally
partition the "slices" then configure vinum, is that the correct or
proper way of having RAID5 configured on the server? I would really
appreciate any feedback, links or hints on this as all the documentation
I have gone through looks very old, some are from 1997, 2001 and 2003
and some are talking about FreeBSD 4.4..

* http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vinum/index.html

Thanks in advance

--
Sincerely,