quota deadlock on 6.1-RC1

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 5 18:35:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Mike Jakubik wrote:

> This quota/nve problem sure stirred things up, i guess im partly to blame,
> but anyway i think that it all boils down to is this; FreeBSD users now
> demand stability and performance, as opposed to an influx of new bells and
> whistles just before the release. FreeBSD already has many great features
> which we are happy with, but they need to be refined now. Stabilize and
> optimize the current code, then focus on new ideas. Yes, new features are
> important to stay in the game, but they should not arrive at the sacrifice
> of stability. I think FreeBSD should only be released when known major bugs
> are worked out. A known broken release to me and most new users is useless,
> lets not release simply for the sake of numbering. I understand that there
> are problems, sometimes the users are to blame, other the developer, but we
> all want a stable, functional and thriving OS (i hope).

I think you'll find that the vast majority of changes going into 6.x and 7.x
are refinement of what was present in 5.x, rather than new features.  I.e.,
cleanups of locking models, removal of long-decayed or no longer useful code,
finishing up loose ends, etc.  Compared to the new feature lists for the 5.x
branch, 6.x and 7.x are significantly less agressive.

Robert N M Watson