(some?) startup scripts being run twice..?

Jan Grant jan.grant at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 2 16:07:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Alexey Karagodov wrote:

> where ntpd script located? in /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d or both?

I've already checked this: it's solely in /etc/rc.d. There's other
evidence of dual initialisation, too:

[[[
Apr 27 08:51:01 xxx sshd[1296]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.
Apr 27 08:51:01 xxx sshd[1296]: fatal: Cannot bind any address.
]]]

The instance of sshd that is running was successfully started a few
seconds before this. Again, this is coming out of /etc/rc.

> 2006/5/2, Jan Grant <jan.grant at bristol.ac.uk>:
> >
> > I'm running a stock freebsd-stable as a workstation. I'm seeing
> > something unusual: it looks like some startup scripts are being run
> > twice when the machine boots.
> >
> > Originally I caught this because an old-fashioned /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> > script was being called twice. However, on looking closer it seems that
> > I'm getting ntpd launched twice as well. There may be others that bomb
> > out - but has anyone got any suggestions as to what might be causing
> > this?
> >
> > rc.conf is boring (just turns on a bunch of the usual suspects you'd see
> > on a workstation); I can't see in /etc/rc why this might be occurring.
> >
> > --
> > jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/
> > Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
> > ...and then three milkmaids turned up
> > (to the delight and delactation of the crowd).

jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/
Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
Solution: (n) a watered-down version of something neat.