ath0: ath_chan_set: unable to reset channel 5 (2432 Mhz, flags 0x3e0 hal flags 0x140)

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Tue May 2 14:17:31 UTC 2006

On Saturday 29 April 2006 20:00, Sam Leffler wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:

> > the 5,3 and 5.8Ghz range is gone
> >

> > this card should show the 2.4b/g range as usual, the 4.9, the 5.3 and the
> > 5.8 range
>
> regdomain 18 gives you b/g channels 1-11 and public safety channels in
> the range 4942-4985.  What you are seeing is that ifconfig does not know
> how to handle mapping the public safety channels to ieee channel numbers.

very strange indeed, look what DLink say about this card supposed to have:

ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DWL-AG530/DWL-AG530_ds.pdf

http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=306&rid=1027&sec=0

I believe this regarding redomain codes is also correct

0x10 FCC
0x20 DOC
0x30 ETSI
0x31 Spain
0x32 France
0x40 Japan
0xff debug

I believe the 4.9Ghz range is a US only limited range at this time and if
regdomain 18 defines this I do not know how I get this cards configured with
it, but that certainly is another question

if I am not so wrong Dlink pretends with 0x12 to say that the 11a range is
only 5.25Ghz up but NOT any lower as 5.25Ghz 11a range

so this is certainly exactly the contrary to what you say regdomain 18 *is*
4.9

but of course I may be wrong and I did not found at this moment the table with
regdomain codes and channels in my hurry

> It turns out that handling this correctly is more involved than I
> remembered.  Not only are the public safety channels special in their
> freq<->ieee# mapping but they also require 1/4- and 1/2-speed tx rates.
>   The linux code handles this but it's done with some awkward code that
> I'd prefer to cleanup before integrating into freebsd.  Regardless I
> suspect most people aren't going to use these channels since they
> require a special license (search for "public safety channels" and

ok but this may apply to any other channel/frequency as well, what may be free
of license in one country does not mean it is or not in another

> you'll find the relevant documentation).  To be honest I have no idea
> why vendors are shipping cards with these channels enabled.

to sell them I guess ;)

> I can hack the ath driver to just ignore the public safety channels and
> may do that.  Otherwise it seems like the best thing is to change the
> regdomain in the eeprom (those who don't know how can find it with a
> search engine).

probably both are the best choice I guess

João