Cannot boot 6.1-PRERELEASE in SMP mode

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue Mar 14 15:08:16 UTC 2006

On Mar 14, 2006, at 7:41 AM, Pete French wrote:

> But FreeBSD will not boot SMP with the second processor installed.
> It behaves
> exactly as it did with a single processor and ACPI enabled - i.e.
> it stops
> at the 'Waiting for SCSI devices to settle" point and does not get
> beyond
> this.

when you boot, at the FreeBSD menu, break to the command prompt and
type this:

debug.acpi.disabled=timer
boot

and see if it works.  I have one system on which 5.4 works
flawlessly, but anything from 6.0-REL and up requires I disable the
ACPI timer.

If it works, just add the above line to your /boot/loader.conf file
to make it stick across reboots.