Fresh install on gmirror'ed disks?

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Sun Mar 5 04:22:25 UTC 2006

JoaoBR wrote:
> On Friday 03 March 2006 23:45, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
>>I would certainly see the installer handling software RAID as a
>>considerable benefit.
>>
>> From what I've seen on the net, to install and boot off RAIDed system
>>disks is quite fiddly (maybe gmirror is the exception here, as I've
>>mainly been looking at striping).
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Mark
>

> geom changed this complications definitely, using gmirror or gstripe commands
> is easy as copying a file.

(Chuckles) - While I see your point, I see that Ralf E's article
discussing this very issue weighs in at about a page worth of
instructions for *each* of the two methods discussed. Now, sure, he's
being pedantically careful so no-one will misunderstand and murder their
systems - but ISTM that this is the sort of task that ideally an
installer could/should handle.

The argument of 'its only a few commands...' does not really stand up -
as (for instance) it could be equally applied to that installer
providing package installation - and it seems to have that facility
(thankfully!).

> So in comparism
> the easy use of geom is great and the people which developed geom did a
> really fantastic job.

I agree, as the geom based applications are maturing, we are starting to
see that benefit of the geom infrastructure.

Cheers

Mark