opinion on which software RAID to use

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Thu Mar 2 19:11:56 UTC 2006

I have a stack of new boxes here with two SATA drives on which I plan
to do software RAID.  The box actually has a hardware RAID but it is
somehow disabled since I didn't pay extra for it... I can access the
BIOS and set up the RAID volume but it fails at boot.  So they are
configured as individual disks.  The boxes are Dell PowerEdge 1425SC.

Anyhow, I see at least three ways to set up a mirror of these drives
and/or partitions:

  gvinum
  gmirror
  atacontrol

Any opinions on which has both qualities: easy to configure/manage
(ie, recover after failure) and performance?  The handbook RAID page
doesn't even mention gmirror.  The atacontrol seems very simple to
use, at least.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks!