[OT] resolv.conf and dhclient

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Jun 5 20:36:29 UTC 2006

> Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:51:48 -0400
> From: Damian Gerow <dgerow at afflictions.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> Thus spake Lyndon Nerenberg (lyndon at orthanc.ca) [05/06/06 15:49]:
> : >I have two interfaces, one wired and one wireless.  Both addresses are
> : >negotiated via DHCP.  However, I do /not/ want to use the DNS servers
> : >provided via the wireless connection.
> :
> :
> : interface "ath0" {
> : 	supersede domain-name "orthanc.ca";
> : 	supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
> : }
> :
> : interface "bge0" {
> : 	supersede domain-name "orthanc.ca";
> : 	supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
> : }
> :
> : And then just run a local instance of named.
>
> And what happens when I'm connected at home, and need to view portions of
> DNS that are only accessible to the wired network?
>
> And what happens when I'm connected at work, and need to view portions of
> DNS that are only accessible to the wired network?
>
> How will my local named instance know where to look?  What happens when it
> can't query externally at work?
>
> There are very legitimate needs for being able to swap DNS servers on the
> wired connection, while ignoring those provided via the wireless.

OK> We have now moved from dhclient issues to more general issues of
multiple connection requirements.

I use Tobias Roth's profile.sh which is available from
https://secure.socket.ch/projects/profile/. It is less than perfect, but
works very well for me. It allows totally different user environments
depending on your network connection.

It works by union mounting a different copy of /etc depending on what is
probed on the network. I have profiles for home (wireless), work (1
location wired and 1 wired + wireless), and general random connections.

Since the entire rc.conf as well as all other files in /etc may be
connection specific, you can do almost anything you want to vary the
config.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)