[OT] resolv.conf and dhclient

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Mon Jun 5 19:52:12 UTC 2006

Thus spake Lyndon Nerenberg (lyndon at orthanc.ca) [05/06/06 15:49]:
: >I have two interfaces, one wired and one wireless.  Both addresses are
: >negotiated via DHCP.  However, I do /not/ want to use the DNS servers
: >provided via the wireless connection.
:
:
: interface "ath0" {
: 	supersede domain-name "orthanc.ca";
: 	supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
: }
:
: interface "bge0" {
: 	supersede domain-name "orthanc.ca";
: 	supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
: }
:
: And then just run a local instance of named.

And what happens when I'm connected at home, and need to view portions of
DNS that are only accessible to the wired network?

And what happens when I'm connected at work, and need to view portions of
DNS that are only accessible to the wired network?

How will my local named instance know where to look?  What happens when it
can't query externally at work?

There are very legitimate needs for being able to swap DNS servers on the
wired connection, while ignoring those provided via the wireless.