Xorg hang on recent 6.1 build

Robert Whamond rwhamond at westnet.com.au
Wed Apr 12 02:22:22 UTC 2006

On Thursday, 6 April 2006 18:22, Kent Stewart wrote:
> I cvsuped RELENG_6 and went through the usual motions to make the world,
> kernel and install them. Everything was ok until I rebooted and started
> KDE and the x-session stopped. I could login for other computers and
> xorg was using 97% of the cpu.
>
> After rebooting it 2x and using root the 2nd time and still have it
> hang. I did a diff of GENRIC and RUBY. GENERIC had the new kbdmux
> parameter. After I rebuilt the kernel and booted to it, I haven't had
> any problems using the machine.
>
> If not adding kbdmux to the kernel config file can hang the user's
> x-session, I think some sort of warning should be added to UPDATING.
>
> Kent

Sorry for the delayed response.

I've had a similar problem on a machine since upgrading to RELENG_6 (now on
6.1-PRERELEASE #3). After logging in from another machine and killing the
Xorg process the xserver restarts but I am then unable to switch to a text
virtual console; monitor reports signal out of range.

I was using the nvidia driver (nvidia-driver-1.0.8178_1). When I disabled that
the problem appears to be less frequent but still occurs.

On a second machine on which I did a fresh install of 6 (now on 6.1-PRERELEASE
#1) I've had no problems but haven't tried the nvidia driver yet.

Could it be the video hardware?

I wasn't aware of kbdmux. I will see if that makes a difference.

--
Rob Whamond
c/- Post Office                               Phone:  (03) 5728 6640
Vic Australia  3747                  E-mail: rwhamond at westnet.com.au