Disappointed

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Apr 5 20:50:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:37:41PM +0200, Albert Shih wrote:

> OK I just do it. I just hope the maintainer can understand me...
>

> > As a first step: you say your server crashed.  Did it panic?  Do you
> > have debugging settings (INVARIANTS, WITNESS) enabled?  Do you have
> > DDB enabled?  Read through the chapter on kernel debugging in the
> > developers' handbook and reconfigure your kernel accordingly, then
> > proceed from there.
>
> Well it's no so easy. I can try but there least 600 users waiting the big
> fsck when the server crash. I'm not sure I can spend many time to try
> this.. But I promise you I will try.

Thanks.  You need to evaluate whether it's more important for you to
try to get the problem fixed, or to keep dealing with the downtime
from the crashes.  Trying to reproduce on a test machine is also a
good idea.

Unfortunately, debugging system problems does take work, but at the
same time if you can't put the work in, it's not so likely you'll be
able to resolve the problem.

> NB: Why this kind of problem can happen ? I ask this because until 6. I
> never have this kind of problem.

All software has bugs, and sometimes hardware has bugs too.

Kris