Advice sought on upgrading from 4.11-R to 5.4...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Sep 21 16:21:13 PDT 2005

At 11:34 PM +0200 2005-09-21, Erik Trulsson wrote:

>  And you should of course also read /usr/src/UPDATING as usual.

	That's the current version of the file from the 5.x tree, right?
Is there any obvious way to see what this is without going ahead and
downloading all the source anyway?  Maybe there's something I'm
missing, but this seems to be one of the really important files that
is not easily available via the web interface on freebsd.org --
they've got the RELEASE_NOTES and a number of others, but not this
one.

>  Of course, the officially recommended upgrade path is to backup all data (a
>  very good idea in any case), reformat the disk, install the new system from
>  scratch, and restore datafiles from the backup - but upgrading via source is
>  certainly possible as well.

	I had originally tried installing 5.x on this machine, but I
could never get it to boot from the 5.x media.  I did get it to boot
from the 4.11-R media (both sets of media written by the same
computer with the same CD-Writer and software), so that is what I
installed.  I'd like to be able to take the backup/wipe/re-install
path, but I don't think that's going to be possible for me.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755