Advice sought on upgrading from 4.11-R to 5.4...

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Sep 21 14:34:30 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 09:42:24PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> Folks,
>
> 	I've seen the migration guide at
> <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/migration-guide.html>, and the
> thread at
> <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-September/018151.html>,
> but I was wondering about the specific sequence of the upgrade process.

And you should of course also read /usr/src/UPDATING as usual.

> 	In particular, I'm wondering if I should go from
> RELENG_4_11_0_RELEASE direct to RELENG_5_4, or if I should instead go
> first to RELENG_5_0_0_RELEASE then to RELENG_5_4?

I would recommend going first to RELENG_5_3_0_RELEASE, and then to
RELENG_5_4, but going directly to RELENG_5_4 will probably work fine as
well - there were not all that many changes between 5.3 and 5.4.

5.3-RELEASE was the first stable release from the 5.x branch.  I would not
recommend using any earlier 5.x release. (I.e. don't use
RELENG_5_0_0_RELEASE.)

Of course, the officially recommended upgrade path is to backup all data (a
very good idea in any case), reformat the disk, install the new system from
scratch, and restore datafiles from the backup - but upgrading via source is
certainly possible as well.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson