Advice sought on upgrading from 4.11-R to 5.4...

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Sep 21 16:56:21 PDT 2005

> Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:23:18 +0200
> From: Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> At 11:34 PM +0200 2005-09-21, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>
> >  And you should of course also read /usr/src/UPDATING as usual.
>
> 	That's the current version of the file from the 5.x tree, right?
> Is there any obvious way to see what this is without going ahead and
> downloading all the source anyway?  Maybe there's something I'm
> missing, but this seems to be one of the really important files that
> is not easily available via the web interface on freebsd.org --
> they've got the RELEASE_NOTES and a number of others, but not this
> one.

Check in the CVS repository:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/UPDATING?annotate=1.342.2.24&only_with_tag=RELENG_5_4

One down side of an upgrade in-place is that you don't get the larger
root partition that is now default and you don't get UFS2 file systems
on your partitions.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)