Why Move . . .

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Sat May 28 12:56:46 PDT 2005

> Im currently running fedora core 2. I was informed about this list by a
> friend running freebsd. Now what I wanted to ask is whether any one of you
> has used any redhat flavours, if so, what is the distinct advantage of
> moving to freebsd ( i have never used it), i cant just migrate because the
> machines I have access to are production machines.

If you can run your specific app(s] on FreeBSD one distinct attribute
on it's own could make you "switch", and that's the ports-collection.
So install FreeBSD, add your self to the wheel-group so you can become
root, cd to /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade, do a make install clean,
and start install programs by typing portinstall zsh, apache, gettext,
whatever. The ports-collection will take care of dependencies.
Upgrading is done by portupgrade zsh for instance.

HTH
Claus