Why Move . . .

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Sun May 29 10:53:54 PDT 2005

On May 28, 2005, at 15:56, Claus Guttesen wrote:

> whatever. The ports-collection will take care of dependencies.
> Upgrading is done by portupgrade zsh for instance.

Just a small hint: personally I tend to always use the "-b" option to
create a backup copy of the previous version (usually saved in
/var/tmp).

This way if your testing (!) didn't catch some issues you can go back
to the exact (more or less) environment you had before the upgrade.
After a little while you can then delete the backed up version to
reclaim space and keep things tidy.