Boot loader cant identify ntfs?

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Wed May 18 16:26:28 PDT 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> Dan Nelson wrote:
>
> > The next release should:
> > RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.S,v
> [...]
>
> Obviously the Right Way of doing such things is to move this into the
> 2nd stage boot loader... I can't think of any reason (except quick
> hackery) why this hasn't been done that way.  I mean, one could retain a
> simple choice of which disk/partition to boot in the 1st stage (to cover
> all eventualities), and maybe hide it by having to hit a key, and do the
> real menu in the 2nd stage, perhaps integrated with the kernel options
> boot menu.

Then the space problem just migrates.  There's a limited amount of space
in the disklabel for bootblocks and I think we're pushing that.

If you want pretty menus, there's a large number of boot managers
available.  Someone showed me one at BSDcan and I don't recall the name
offhand. Even had beastie icons.